What is ISO 22000?
ISO 22000 is basically a validation of food safety management system which can be applied to any organization in the food industry. Having an ISO 22000 registration helps show to your customers that the organization is particular about its food safety systems. This ISO certification is very important as consumers are very informed and demand safety of food products. It’s a general derivative of ISO 9000.
The ISO 2200 is basically implemented with compliance of Good Manufacturing Process and HACCP principles. HACCP stands for Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Plan.
Requirements for ISO 22000
The ISO 22000 basically checks for implementation a food safety management system by the organization to ensure a clean and sanitary environment for food processing of any kind
Following are the requirements for ISO 22000
- Implementation, Maintainence, Performance review of a Food Safety Management System(FSMS)
- A comrehensive set of pre-requistes Control of Documents, Control of Records, Control of Unsafe Products, Corrections, Corrective Actions, withdrawls, Internal Audits of food safety.
- Plans and preparedness for Emergency situations
- Compliance with HACCP measures to identify, prevent and eliminate food saftey hazards
- Implementation of an Overall Food Safety Policy by top-level management.
Benefits of ISO 22000 registration
- Internationally-recognized, harmonized standard for controlling food safety hazards
- Flexibility, allowing it to be applied to all organizations in the food supply chain, thus encouraging cooperation in addressing food safety hazards
- Possible integration of the food safety and quality management schemes within an organization (e.g. ISO 9001)
- Provides a framework for management commitment, communication with suppliers and customers, and continuous improvement of the food safety system
- Demonstrates an organization’s commitment to food safety.